Monday, March 3, 2008

A Tantrum and the Kindness of a Stranger

Last Friday I went to Target to get some swim diapers. We headed over to the baby section and Jeffrey saw some small milk carton boxes of fish crackers. So I let him get one. We got the diapers then I was looking at swim suits for Jeff-and he was out of the cart running around. Meanwhile, Sammy was begging for me to open the fishies so I did. That was my mistake (should have asked Jeffrey first). Jeffrey sees that Sammy is eating his crackers and goes absolutely crazy. So I'm like, I'm outta here. We go to quickly pay for the diapers, Jeffrey is still ranting, screaming, hitting me, trying to take the cart from me. I'm about to blow my top-have my own tantrum. We get in line behind a lady with two small well-behaved kids. I put the diapers up on the belt along with the disputed crackers. I'm still fighting with Jeff who is now on the floor screaming, kicking, trying to hit me. And I don't notice that the lady in front of me has paid for my stuff. I go up to the cashier ready to pay and she hands me the receipt and tells me that this lady paid for me. Well, the kind stranger was gone, almost to the opposite doors I was going, my kids are both crying, I'm tearing up, so I don't run after her, I just want to run and hide. But I was so grateful for her, she definitely didn't have to do that. I guess now I have to, as they say, "pay it forward". Hopefully when that happens my kids will be the well behaved ones?!

Jeffrey's reaction to his punishment and our conversations regarding this incident are pretty funny. I told him in the car, leaving Target, that he will have a time out when we get home and no movies or TV today. Later after lunch he says "Mommy can you watch TV?" and I say yes, "Mommy can Sammy watch TV", I say no, "Mommy can we still go swimming today?", yes, "Can I still play with my toys?",yes. Later that night after his football class he tells me "I can throw footballs but I can't throw fits". Ahhhh! Blessed understanding.

7 comments:

Our World said...

That is the neatest story!

Candice said...

ohhh I can truly imagine how frustrating that must have been!! What a nice person. Happy Birthday!! I wasn't happy to join the 30's club, but I'm getting used to it. You definitely can command more respect now. I'll listen to all your advice now that you're 30!
Candi

Angela said...

You never hear of that happening anymore, so cool! I can just picture the tantrum - I've SO been there. How nice of that lady. Thanks for sharing!

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

Wow, so nice that there are people like that around! I understand the grocery store tantrum thing now. The other day I had to eat alomost a whole box of tic-tacs, just because Lucy was not satisfied with a couple and was throwing a fit if I took them away.

Amber said...

There have been plenty of Target trips just as you described and there was no pay it forward experience, so I am a little teary for you as well. I love kind people. I also, love, even more, well behaved children.

andrea said...

What an amazing stranger. I'm impressed that you can picture yourself being the pay it forward stranger...even if it is in the distant future. I find myself asking, "Will I EVER be like that?" At this rate, probably not.

Thanks for finding us! Your little family is TOO cute. I'd love to hear a little e-mail update of what you guys have been up to over the last 5 years. (Or do I just have to read your archives?) :)

agsweat at yahoo dot com

andrea said...

Steph--

Do you happen to know Darren and Andi Buttery or Scott and Diana Wilson? Those are friends of ours who both live in Highlands Ranch now. You never know.

Andrew has a sister who lives in Castle Rock, so I've been there once. It's gorgeous.