Friday, October 26, 2007

Tagged??!!

I have been tagged by my lovely friend Rachel Lyons. I've been trying to think of interesting things to say about myself that you don't already know. Some of you don't know that I like to bird watch or that my dad is a date farmer or that my nickname was Scrap but mostly everyone already knows those tidbits. Oh! I have to explain the rules: list 6 interesting things about yourself then tag 6 other people and leave comments on their blogs so they know they've been tagged.

1. My junior year of college I went to Cape Town, South Africa for a summer. I know you all know that but I'm always asked what I did there and so that's the interesting part. Sooooo it was through BYU's anthropology department (I was a zoology major). It wasn't really a study abroad because I didn't study at a university there. I volunteered at a maternity hospital and did an after school program at a library in the township I lived in. My host family was awesome! It was such a great experience-forced me out of my comfort zone and created a desire to learn more about other cultures. yada yada I could go on forever....

2. I despise buying things that AREN'T on sale. I literally get a high from shopping around for the best bargains and using coupons to get rock bottom prices. Some may call me cheap. Sometimes when I'm going to purchase something big I do lots of research online then look around for good prices but end up becoming indecisive-it drives John up the wall. John just wants to go into a store, get the item and leave. Not me, I like to look at lots of stores and then think about it for awhile-but then I can't make a decision, and I worry about making the "right" choice, cause I'll only feel good about buying if I know its a good deal.

3. Okay, I'm going to explain the "Scrap" nickname. My freshman year of high school I played on the varsity basketball team. One of the older players decided I was a scrappy player and thus gave me the name. So it stuck and I was called that by my teammates plus other friends. Then in college, someone found out about it and started calling me Scrap. Pretty soon everyone called me that including my bishop. I was assigned to give a talk one Sunday and they introduced me as Scrap during sacrament meeting. My old roomies still call me Scrap and have a hard time calling me by my real name. It only wore off once all my friends got married and I had all new roommates my senior year. That's when I met John so he has always called me Steph not Scrap.

4. Before I die I'd like to visit Costa Rica (awesome bird watching), New Zealand/Australia, Sweden (John's family ancestry), and the British Isles (my family ancestry).

5. After my kids are all in school I plan on getting a nursing degree. Then I want to go on short humanitarian trips to Africa or South America as a nurse. I love the medical field!! But I do have to get over my little fainting problem. I faint when I get drawn and have seen some minor surgeries in which I got woosy.

6. I was a minority in my high school. Yuma, AZ is about 15 minutes from the Mexican border and so is heavily populated by people from that country or of that ancestry. But that also means Yuma has magnificent Mexican food....oh I'm craving some right now as I write. Another interesting fact about Yuma, the population doubles in the winter from the snow birds (old people from the north). And its also in the Guinesis Book of World Records for the most consecutive days over 90 degrees. One last fact, while Yuma High School was being built classes were held in the old Yuma Territorial Prison and so their mascot became the Criminals. (note: I didn't go to Yuma High so please don't call me a criminal).

***I tag Candice Brobice, Rachel "Goodwin" Williams, Katrina Bria, Melissa Ballantyne, Tami Nelson, and Shannon Dickman

2 comments:

Lyons Family said...

cool stuff! thanks for doing it - I know it's kind of a pain! I am liking your blog setup too! nice work!

Candice said...

I can't beleive I didn't know some of that stuff. Thanks for tagging me :) I'll take you up on your challenge tomorrow.
Candi