Sunday, June 8, 2008

My First Tri

Saturday I raced in my first triathlon. It was a sprint tri, 500 yard swim, 12 mile bike, 5K run. I loved it. I loved training for it because it was different everyday, not just running. I broke my personal goal by 4 minutes and I was happy to finish but then after I got my times back I kept thinking about how I can be faster-first on the list is not using a mountain bike among road racers, MBs are too slow on the road. Secondly I need to figure out how not to be nervous before the race (is that possible?) so I can breathe during the swim portion. I enjoyed swimming in training, but racing with 4 people in your lane, getting water in your mouth, having no breathing or stroke rhythm is NOT fun! I was so happy to get out of the pool and onto my bike. Well, I'm hooked and will probably do another one in July then wait it out till next summer.

10 comments:

Our World said...

Thats so cool!! How about I train and come and do one with you!

Mauzy Fam said...

That's cool!! It's so good that you work hard and keep in so much shape. I need to be better. Sounds like fun.

PEHNelson said...

You're crazy! But good for you!

Scott & Tami said...

Way to go steph...I had a blast too!!

Mr. & Mrs. Smith said...

Go Scrap! Your trip sounded fun--and yes, I will be in town mid July.

Angela said...

Wow! Great job! I've never had the courage to try any kind of race. You're so brave!

Rachel H. said...

What a wonderful thing to do, to continue to challenge yourself. I keep having grand ideas, like training for a full marathon. My excuse right now is that I don't have time to train because I am working full time. But you inspire me!

andrea said...

Major props, Steph! I'm just counting down the days until my six weeks post-partum are up so I can do more than just walk for exercise. Kinda anxious to get rid of some of this post-baby jiggle.

David and Nikki said...

Wow...I can't even imagine...wait, I am pretty good at briskly walking to the fridge to get food...and I enjoy swimming in the bath tub...and for the bike portion...tires...ummmm....uhhhh...
I can manuever a car quite nicely!

Dizzy Kate said...

Okay, I feel like going running now. I just ate a big thing of Peanute M & M's and watching So You Think You Can Dance. I feel like a blob now. You are motivating me to get in better shape. That is amazing that you did a tri! You are one strong cookie!