Saturday, February 2, 2008

Journal-y Thoughts

I've had two items I've wanted to record lately. One is a few things Jeffrey has said recently. One day he told me, "Mommy", I say "yes", then its "Mommy" a few more times while he's working out his thoughts, "People have two slides in them, one for pee and one for poop". Very observant little boy. Today, my sister-in law Katrina was over and she's pregnant and had to keep going to the bathroom. We were all playing Go Fish, Jeffrey's new favorite game, and so I explained to Jeffrey that Katrina has a baby in her tummy, and when you have a baby in your tummy you have to pee all the time. So he thought about this and says "When I'm big, can I have a baby in my tummy?", I said no, just girls. Later in the day he says "Mommy, when Sammy and I were babies we were in your tummy then we dropped out and started crawling then walking and then we got big, big, big". I'm really afraid I'm going to have the birds and the bees talk with him way earlier then planned. I also noticed the other day that Jeffrey eats his M&M's just like me and my Dad. Growing up, I would seperate them into colors, then eat them so that all the colors had even numbers, then eat them color by color in some kind of order. Well, Jeffrey isn't that sophisticated yet, but he does eat all of one color first, then another, then another. Hmmmmm....is there some kind of M&M eating order gene?

So the other item I've been wanting to write about concerns a more serious topic. A few days ago our semi-liberal (because its no New York Times) paper, The Denver Post, printed an article on the 4th page of their main section titled "Mormon Women Seek Greater Role". I immediately start reading-and the author is saying that there was an uproar about Julie Beck's talk from last conference that said LDS women keep sacred covenants by keeping tidy homes and dressing daughters in nice clothes for church. That 250 women wrote an online rebuttal against Julie Beck's talk and that we're all anxiously awaiting the new prophet to see if women's roles will change. I'm exagerating a bit in my explanation but it was that bad. So I'm fuming-250 women? out of how many-5 million in the church? Did this guy read Julie Beck's talk? He didn't get the point AT ALL!! Why do they even feel like this is news? really-250 women?? Why publish this. And if you are going to do a report on it-at least do your research. So I wrote my own rebuttal online-I wish I knew if the author will ever read it. He's from the Associated Press. Click here to read the article

5 comments:

Rachel H. said...

Jeffrey IS very astute! This is the long lost Howards. I too have entered the blogging world to keep up with friends. You can check us out at markandrachfamily.blogspot.com. Hope things are going well and that you will soon have all the power you need to overthrow the church, hee hee hee,
Rachel

Amber said...

I heard about that protest from her talk...crazy and yes, I think MANY people missed the point, hearing what they wanted to be be offended.

Dizzy Kate said...

Jeffrey sounds so funny.

I heard about the same thing about Sister Beck's talk. I couldn't believe it. I loved that talk. I know I am no where near being the perfect kind of mom, but her talk helped me want to be a better mom and wife. I am so thankful for her talk.

Mauzy Fam said...

Hey Steph!! I found you while I was blog hopping! I'm so glad to catch up on you and your family. Looks like you have 2 boys - just like me!! Check out our blog. How fun that we can catch up on each other!! I miss you and everyone else from highschool!!

Mauzy Fam said...

This is Tamra (Booth) Mauzy by the way!! I'm such a dork!

By the way, I loved your cute story about your son.