Monday, January 21, 2008

My Escape from Winter

I took Jeffrey and Sammy to visit my parents in Yuma, AZ Jan 9-16th. We flew all the way to Yuma International Airport-which is a thrill ride in itself for Jeffrey. He especially likes riding the "fast train" at the Denver airport and told my mom that we went to the "C station" (the C terminal). It was 70 degrees plus some the whole time we were there. So we played outside quite a bit. We played at a park one day, visited my Grandpa Nelson-who'll be 91 next month. Oh, and there's a story here-so my Grandpa lives in Bard, CA which is 20 min west of Yuma (Yuma is right on the Colorado River). Bard is rural farming area and so my Grandpa's house is surrounded by fields. There used to be lemon orchards that my brothers and I would play in growing up, but the trees got a disease and had to be destroyed. Now there are baby date palms growing. Anyways, that's just background info, so we're visiting Grandpa when I hear Sammy crying and I look out into the field and see he's lost his shoes. The field was muddy-and muddy fields can be like quick sand-so his shoes got stuck in the mud and his feet came out of them. Well, my mom went out to save him and was OK going out but coming back her shoes broke the top layer and she almost got stuck herself. It was funny at the time...ha ha. Also in Bard, we saw my Uncle Jerry's old Model-T truck that he decorates for Christmas. This year he had an electric train on the back-which was mesmerizing for my boys. So what else, we went on a boat ride on the mighty Colorado River. Jeffrey loved it, Sammy not so much. Sammy did try to drive the boat and didn't want my Dad to have his hands on the wheel. We played at my brother Paul and Ericka's house. Their son Hunter got a Wii for Christmas-and beat me at bowling. Then we took a short trip over to California to visit some old friends. First we drove up to Irvine to see my friend Hillary and her daughter Avery. We just played at the park for a couple of hours. Avery and Jeffrey were best buds when we lived there and poor Avery bawled when we had to leave. Then we went to San Diego and saw the Clarks. They took us to the San Diego Zoo the following day, then we ate ice cream and headed back to Yuma. On our way home we were surprised by John at the Phoenix airport-he'd had business in PHX and Tucson and met up with us for our flight home. Denver greeted us with 18 degree weather-brrrrrr!! It was a long, fun trip and its good to be home. Okay, I'm trying out a slide show for my pictures-hope it works!

5 comments:

Angela said...

Hey Steph! It was great to catch up with you while you were in Yuma! Looks like you had lots of fun. Your boys are so cute! I saw your blog on Ericka's page, hope you don't mind if I add you to mind! Talk to ya later!

KESLER KREW...Cami said...

Stephanie - Luv your blog - your boys are adorable! Way to dominate last night! cami

Candice said...

Good job on the slide show. I'm loving your hair. It looks so cute that length.

Janell said...

Loved the pictures--especially the one with Grandpa Nelson, and of your mom and Sammy in the mud. Thanks for sharing! Glad you got a break from the cold.

Dizzy Kate said...

It sounds like you had a blast. It is always fun to go on vacation, but by the time it is over I am excited to get back into a routine. I'm happy that you got to see your family and have fun in the 70 degree whether.