Monday, November 5, 2007

Firemen to the Rescue!!

I wish I had taken a picture now, but I really didn't think about it at the time...
Saturday afternoon I was painting baseboards in the garage while the boys played in my car in the driveway. I let them have the keys because Jeffrey likes to listen to music while he pretends to drive. A neighbor boy came by and Jeffrey got out of the car to play with him leaving Sammy by himself. A few minutes later, Jeffrey and this boy come running over to me to say Sammy has locked the doors to the car. Well, John was on a campout and had the only other key to the car. I called to see if he was close to being home but he was in Vail, about 2 hours away. John, in a way, was freaking out asking what I was going to do. I didn't know, yet! I got out a wire hanger and proceeded to attempt the break in but I failed. Two of the neighbor dads tried the hanger but no luck. Several of us were knocking on the window, yelling at Sammy to "push the button". Sammy just smiled back and continued to play in the car. At first I didn't want to, it was my last option, but I decided to call the police. They routed me through to the fire department. About five minutes later we hear the sirens coming up the street (I don't think they had much to do). By this time, Sammy is crying and looking a bit scared. The big fire truck came plus a sheriff. They got Sammy out quickly and suggested I get a magnetic hide-a-key then left. I guess I'm just glad I got to see my tax dollars at work. And yes, I'm going shopping for a hide-a-key.

5 comments:

Amber said...

Thats a CLASSIC! So you don't feel alone. When Jackson was about 2, in the summer, in california, I locked him in the car, in his car-seat. I was freaking out, but my mom who was with me was calm and talking through the window to him, so he wouldn't lose it. I wanted to call 911, this was an emergency, but she called AAA and they came and unlocked the car. PERSPECTIVE. Now, if one of those punks locks themselves in the car, well, we shall see.

Rachel Goodwin Williams said...

Too funny! Experiences like that make life with kids fun, right?

It's starting to cool off a little bit here. We haven't yet met your parents because we were out of town this weekend, but I'm sure we will soon.

So, what are your favorite Mexican restaurants in town?

Candice said...

We have a hide a key in our garage because Benjamin locked us out of the house while we were bringing in the groceries. We thought we were going to have to break a window until we realized that he had unlocked a back door before we left. I must have been quite a sight running from window to window try to keep track of him as he roamed the house while Neal tried to find a way in. I feel for you!

Shannon said...

Oh my gosh! I love it! SOunds like a typical day in my house. I wish I could play vball more often - tim's job is making it a little difficult right now. Soon though :)

Janell said...

Hi Steph! This is Janell. I ran into Tyler Broby today (at Jack McLeod's funeral... there were quite a few people from Yuma there). He gave me Candi's blog address, where I linked to you. :o) How fun! Your boys are so cute. We have a blog too, but you have to log in to see it, so email me if you want and I'll send you an invite. janell1014@yahoo.com

Take care!